The Algonquin in St Andrews Haunted
The Algonquin in St Andrews:
Play or Stop
Algonquin In St Andrews Paranormal:
The Algonquin in St Andrews . The old man helps guests to their room as he tells them about the hotel and the town. The visitors have to leave tips at the desk because the bellhop disappears before he can take the money. However, the bellhop is not the only specter. Guests have heard a former night watchman is heard walking up the back staircase and clanging his keys on the railing as he makes his rounds.Room 473 is said to be haunted and is known as “The Bride’s Room” where a ghostly bride (who was perhaps stood up at the altar) is often heard crying. An older apparitional lady, thought to be a senior staff member, is often seen in the dining room at night rearranging the table settings. Various ghosts have been seen in rooms 308 and 373. The Algonquin’s tower has been closed for years, but a light has been noticed there and also a woman dressed in white. A laughing and playing apparitional child has been heard throughout this hotel. Other strange occurrences are items that go missing on the fourth floor and door knobs that turn by themselves on the second floor.
The Algonquin in St Andrews By-The-Sea is a coastal resort hotel in the Tudor style, located in Canada’s first seaside resort town, St. Andrews, New Brunswick. It was built in 1889 by the St. Andrews Land Company, established in 1883 by wealthy American businessmen.
The Algonquin in St Andrews History:
The four-story half-timbered structure with its castle-like facade and 80 rooms opened in June 1889. The Loyalist residents of St Andrews quickly seized upon the summer tourism draw that the hotel was creating among residents of humid inland cities of North America.
One of The Algonquin’s more famous attractions was its saltwater baths. Saltwater was pumped from Passamaquoddy Bay to the hotel atop the hill overlooking St. Andrews and held in water tanks in the hotel attic. Guests used bathtubs designed with four taps, two for fresh water and two for saltwater.
In addition to the saltwater baths, the clean humidity-free air offered by the Bay of Fundy, along with the local “Samson Spring” were believed to offer invigorating healing properties to guests. Advertising proclaiming “No hay fever here” and “A general air of restfulness” attracted many wealthy tourists, some of whom established elaborate summer “cottages” in the town of St. Andrews and its surrounding countryside.
The New Brunswick Railway operated the rail line serving St. Andrews. One of the major private shareholders of the NBR was also the first president of the CPR (1881–1888), George Stephen. Stephen started the process which would see CPR purchase the NBR, as well as build a line across Maine from southern Quebec to connect with the rail network – what would be known as the International Railway of Maine. In 1888, Stephen retired and was replaced by William Cornelius Van Horne, who on July 1, 1890, oversaw the Canadian Pacific Railway lease the NBR for 990 years.
That summer, Van Horne also visited St. Andrews, staying in its famous resort hotel. Van Horne obviously enjoyed his stay away from the heat and humidity of Montreal (prior to air conditioning), as he purchased nearby Minister’s Island and soon began construction of his famous “Covenhoven” estate, which still stands today.
Van Horne retired from the presidency in 1899, opting to spend more time at his Covenhoven estate. In 1903, the Canadian Pacific Railway Company purchased The Algonquin and built world-class golf courses as well as bringing the hotel into what was then the most-renowned hotel chain in the world. A 1902 CPR promotional brochure describes The Algonquin as follows:
“an incomparable resting-place and retreat from the cares of business and the heat and dust and bustle of the city”
Under CPR ownership, the resort flourished with numerous famous guests staying under its roof during the 20th century. As the vast majority of guests arrived at St. Andrews by passenger train, CPR built a large transfer station at the junction between the St. Andrews line and the Saint John-Montreal main line in McAdam. This station also included a large 30-room hotel on its second floor, largely built to service the patrons of the St. Andrews resort.
In 1970, CPR sold The Algonquin Resort to local interests. It was then leased by the Government of New Brunswick in 1973. The property, along with adjacent golf courses and private beach at Katy’s Cove was purchased entirely by the provincial government in 1984. Throughout this period of change in ownership of the property, the resort was continuously contracted to operate under and be marketed by Canadian Pacific Hotels and Resorts, therefore the general public didn’t see any change in the impecabble delivery of service provided by CPR employees.
In 1999, CPR purchased Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. In 2001, Canadian Pacific Hotels and Resorts were consolidated under the Fairmont name. Later that year in October 2001, Canadian Pacific Limited spun off its subsidiaries, including Fairmont Hotels and Resorts into individually controlled companies.
The Algonquin Resort St Andrews:
By-The-Sea continues to offer a premier vacation experience in one of Canada’s most historic seaside resort towns. The hotel has witnessed guests ranging from heads of state and royalty such as Presidents of the United States Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson to HRH Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales, as well as Sir John A. Macdonald and virtually every Prime Minister of Canada since Confederation. Many celebrity entertainers and athletes have also graced the doors of The Algonquin over the years.
In late 2010, the Fairmont chain asked the government of New Brunswick for a set amount of money in order to refit the property on a large scale. After deliberation, the province took the decision in early 2011 that they would seek different management for the property other than the Fairmont chain. From 31 Dec 2011 the Fairmont web site (cf. below) now states that Fairmont will no longer be managing the property and that all Fairmont club benefits for guests will cease after that date. The hotel was sold in 2012 to New Castle Hotels and Resorts and Southwest Properties which forms the Charlotte County Hospitality Partnership and is currently undergoing an extensive renovation and restoration. When reopened in 2013 the resort will be a member of Marriott’s Autograph Collection, making it the first Canadian hotel in the collection.
Who we are:
We are just two Ghost hunters named Glen and Ahmed, we have investigated some of the most haunted locations around the UK, we have captured poltergeist activity on camera, we have caught visual evidence that we believe to be spirits or ghosts of the deceased or possibly entities of some kind, which some believe to be demons or Jinns, we have learnt a lot over the years & hope to learn even more & capture more paranormal activity on camcorder for you all to view, we are very dedicated paranormal investigators, who will do what ever it takes to show you, it’s not the end of our existence once we leave our physical bodies.
We have investigated Haunted Cemetery, Graveyards, Castles, Abbeys, Ruins, Burial Grounds, Hotels, Pubs, forts and a lot more investigations to come in the future.
Please follow us on this journey, you will not regret it! you can find us on Youtube username Dorsetghost.
Welcome to the D.G.I.Family.
Thank You to this source:
Music Credit to: Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)”. Licensed under Creative Commons “Attribution 3.0″